Release: February 14, 2005
NGK INSULATORS, LTD. (President & COO: Shun Matsushita; Head Office: Nagoya, Aichi, Japan) announced that the fire department confirmed on February 12 after noon that the fire completely extinguished as the temperature inside the burnt battery module dropped below 100°C. The fire started from one battery module on February 7 during its withstand voltage test at NAS (sodium sulfur) Battery plant on the premises of NGK's Komaki plant. (Komaki City, Aichi Prefecture)
Due to the fact that the battery module was encased in an thermal insulated container which retains heat, it took 5 days until its interior temperature fell to 100°C. After checking the condition of the burnt battery module, the company will start investigation to find out the cause of the fire from February 14 under the fire department's instruction, and will also discuss and take preventative measures so that this type of accident never happens again.