The strength of a refractory is determined by the size and quantity of its pores.NEWSIC (high-strength SiC refractory) is a refractory newly developed by NGK that fills the pores of silicon carbide with metallurgical silicon, resulting in porosity that is as close to zero as possible. NEWSIC is five times stronger than conventional SiC refractories, and has superior oxidation resistance and durability, allowing it to be used for long periods even in high-temperature atmospheres. Because of its extremely high strength, it is ideal for the design of thin, lightweight energy-saving kiln furniture and refractories.
NEWSIC can be used for a wide range of applications due to characteristics that include high thermal conductivity on par with copper or aluminum metals, high far-infrared emissivity, and electrical conductivity that resists formation of electrostatic charge.
- High strength
- Maintains strength that is five times that of conventional SiC refractories at temperatures from normal to high. It allows the weight of kiln furniture for product firing to be reduced by 50% (for larger firing loads and energy savings).
- High thermal conductivity
- Offers thermal conductivity that is on a par with copper or aluminum metals (approximately 10 times that of conventional refractories). This allows it to withstand sudden temperature changes, permitting a 30 - 40% reduction in firing times.
- High oxidation resistance
- When heated, a thin oxidation protection membrane forms naturally on the surface (and is regenerated if it becomes damaged). Almost no degradation due to oxidation occurs, extending the refractory lifetime by three to 10 times.
- Allows complex shapes
- Because bonding is easy and complex shapes can be created, high-precision product design is possible. Can also be used as jigs in the product manufacturing process (semiconductors, liquid crystal, automobiles, and others).
- High heating efficiency
- Far-infrared emissivity is high, making it close to a perfect black body. When used as a thermal radiator, allows extremely efficient product heating.
- Electrically conductive
- Because the material is electrically conductive, it resists formation of an electrostatic charge. This prevents dust and other substances from adhering, making it ideal for use in clean rooms.
Beam & Roll
Setter with leg