Sodium sulphur NAS battery asset development agreed, announces consortium
A consortium that includes EDF Energy and NGK Insulators, Ltd with MEIDEN and JWD has signed an initial agreement to develop large scale sodium sulphur NAS battery assets to provide ancillary services in the UK.
Large-scale NAS battery systems have been used in several locations across the world to store energy and provide various applications such as load levelling, stabilising renewable energy and the grid system and will be able to do so for many years to come.
The consortium is working on the development of a demonstration project before seeking to apply the technology more widely.
Martin Lawrence, Managing Director, Energy Sourcing and Customer Supply at EDF Energy, said: "EDF Energy is delighted to be working with NGK, bringing their skills and experience to the UK’s energy market. This agreement is a significant and exciting step in the development and potential use of this technology.
As the UK’s largest generator of low-carbon electricity, EDF Energy has a major role to play in the UK power market. This innovative solution will provide energy and a secure supply as well as help to maintain a robust grid during periods of high demand."
NGK said, "We are honoured to be working with EDF Energy to deploy the NAS battery in this innovative project. We look forward to this first installation of the NAS battery in UK. By linking our battery knowledge with EDF Energy's understanding of the British power market, we intend to demonstrate the value of reserve services supplied by a battery, instead of using conventional generating plant."
EDF Energy contacts:
Rajan Lakhani, Senior Media Manager: +44 207 752 2196
NGK Insulators contact:
Matsunaga, Satoh, Public Relations: +81-52-872-7181
Notes to Editors
- UK Ancillary Market
- Ancillary Services are specialist technical services provided by companies with plant connected to the national grid which facilitate a smooth operation of the energy network. In the UK, power generation, transmission and distribution companies are separate. The energy is traded between market players on the basis of bilateral contracts. In order to ensure a balanced system the gird operator purchases Ancillary Services provided by both power producers and customers. As European Union places restrictions on the amount of power that can be produced by fossil fuel generation plants in order to reduce CO2 emissions; renewable capacity has been increasing, placing additional balancing needs on the grid. To meet these needs NGK, together with EDF Energy are considering the development of utility scale NAS battery systems which have advantages in terms of quick response import (charge) and export (discharge) modes thus providing power to the grid.
- Installed Battery Systems
- Sodium Sulphur NAS Batteries allow the development of large scale modules with capacities ranging from 10MW to 100MW. The technology is in service across the world with an installed capacity of just over 300MW. The NAS Battery systems are found to have a proven reliability and safety record.
- About EDF Energy
- EDF Energy is one of the UK’s largest energy companies. EDF Energy is the UK’s largest producer of electricity and the largest generator of low carbon electricity in Britain. Through Climate and Social Commitments, EDF Energy have launched the biggest environmental and social packages of any UK energy company. EDF Energy produce around one-fifth of the nation's electricity from our nuclear, coal and gas power stations, as well as combined heat and power plants and wind farms. EDF Energy provides power to a quarter of the UK’s population via our electricity distribution networks and supply gas and electricity to over 5.5 million business and residential customers. EDF Energy is a key player in national infrastructure projects including the management of private electricity networks serving four London airports and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link. EDF Energy has recently published plans to build up to four new nuclear power stations in the UK. EDF Energy integrated with British Energy in 2009 and we now employ nearly 20,000 people at locations across the UK. EDF Energy is part of EDF Group, one of Europe’s largest power companies. EDF is the official energy utilities partner and sustainability partner of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- About NGK
- NGK is the world’s largest manufacturer of electrical insulators including 1100 kV ultra high voltage suspension & bushing insulators with a 90 year history. NGK is also one of the largest manufacturers of ceramic HONEYCERAM & DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) for catalyst converters for automobiles. The NAS battery is produced only by NGK, where 20 years was spent in development before it was released for commercial applications. NGK has outstanding agreements to supply 150MW NAS battery system to EDF Energy Nouvelles France and 300 MW to Abu Dhabi over the next 5 years.